Friday, September 2, 2016

Day 1 with Izulu Orphan Projects

It's been a long journey but here I am, in Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa.  The trip went well - as good as a 55 hour trip can possibly be and better.  I had 21 hours of flight time to catch up on some relaxation, good movies, and reading, split up with a 24-hour tour of Amsterdam and a 5-hour sleep in Johannesburg.

After a 90-minute drive from Durban this morning I arrived at Kate's farm, my home for the next 6 weeks.  Kate's land contains both her house as well as the offices for Izulu Orphan Projects.  I spent the day with the crew that work here and it was a super-fun-filled day of African adventures:) The guys piled into the back of a 4x4 and we took off (thank god I love driving fast) into town to pick up about $7000 worth of groceries for the orphans.  After loading it all into the back of two massive trucks the guys climbed up on top of all the food and we took off again back to Kate's.  At the farm we all worked together to unload the food.  Next week about 550 orphan families will come pick up a food package that will hopefully last them most of the month.  This a monthly project with Izulu Orphan Projects, so I was lucky to arrive today and be able to be some help on my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment